- Skills Training
- Lime Pointing
Learn the skills to help you carry out your own mortar pointing repairs.
Would you like to undertake repointing works as part of a renovation project or simply as general maintenance to traditional masonry structures?
This practical 'hands on' training day will give participants the skill to undertake repointing works with confidence.
This course will provide a sound understanding of traditional building technology, repair techniques and the materials to use when carrying out repointing.
Attendees are encouraged to bring along images of their projects to discuss with the SLCT tutor on the day.
Click here to download PDF copy of the course description (40.5 KB)
This course is aimed at those who own or are responsible for a traditional building.
Also suitable for those responsible for maintenance works to traditional buildings or a renovation and conservation project.
We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you.
- Ability to recognise original lime mortars and later inappropriate cement mortars
- Ability to proportion out accurately sand and lime binders
- Understand how joints and beds should be prepared to receive new lime pointing
- Ability to apply lime mortars with pinning stones into prepared joints and beds
- Understand the curing conditions required for lime mortars to harden
- Health and Safety issues
- Introduction to traditional buildings
- Historic use of lime mortars
- Understanding the range of binders, sands and aggregates for traditional mortars
- Mortar Mixing
- Preparing masonry joints
- Techniques of working
- Placing of mortar for repointing
- Joint finishing
- Curing and protection regimes
Starting on: Aug. 20, 2021 - Book
Starting on: Oct. 1, 2021 - Book
Starting on: Dec. 10, 2021 - Book
07th November 2019 - 27th October 2021
15th October 2021 - 2nd July 2021
14th May 2021 - 22nd October 2021
27th April 2021 - 13th October 2021