- Skills Training
- Repairing Traditional Masonry P1 - Professional Level 1
This 2 day workshop aims to provide an introductory guide to the use of a range of lime and other traditional binders for the effective conservation and repair of traditional masonry.
Another popular SLCT course is this 2-day workshop for building professionals and provides an introduction to the effective conservation and repair of traditional masonry structures and buildings, for the most part using traditional lime based mortars.
By the end of the course attendees will be able to recognise vernacular and historic finishes to masonry buildings and will gain an understanding of building diagnostics in order to be able to develop specifications in relation to exposure, season, substrates and the nature of masonry repairs required.
Click here to download PDF copy of the course description
*P1 is a pre requisite course for our Masonry Building Conservation- Principles and Techniques P2-Professional Level 2. You can get £100 discount if you book P2 within 2 weeks of completing P1 or book at the same time. Contact our admin team to avail of this offer.
This course is aimed at those who work with, own or are responsible for traditional buildings. Suitable for building and heritage professionals such as architects, surveyors or planners the course would also be of interest to homeowners, those responsible for maintenance works to traditional buildings or those considering a renovation or conversion project. We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you.
- Ability to determine best practice for the effective conservation and repair of traditional masonry buildings;
- Understanding of analysis techniques to best match and specify mortars for repair work;
- Ability to create repair strategies for repointing works;
- Understanding of the setting characteristics and aftercare required for successful curing of traditional mortars.
- Historic use of limeand other traditional binders;
- Understanding traditional building repair;
- Recognising vernacular and other finishes to masonry walls;
- Build and fire a lime kiln to produce building lime;
- Understanding lime binders, sands and aggregates;
- Making accurate mortar mixes including hot mixed lime mortars;
- Setting characteristics of traditional mortars.
- Techniques of working;
- Inspecting masonry;
- Using the right tools;
- Preparation of masonry joints;
- Repointing masonry and joint finishing;
- Protection and curing of work.
Please note: The Scottish Lime Centre Trust reserves the right to withdraw or modify any course being offered. In the event of a programme being withdrawn, we will try to find suitable alternatives.
Starting on: Feb. 1, 2022 - Book
07th November 2019 - 16th February 2022
06th August 2021 - 18th February 2022
02nd July 2021 - 4th February 2022
14th September 2021 - 17th March 2022